TOP: A handful of frothy expanded perlite.
ABOVE 2: Pumping lightweight insulating perlite concrete onto curved roof decks...and finishing a perlite concrete roof deck.
BELOW: Loose perlite makes and excellent loose-fill block cavity insulation.
ABOVE: Lightweight pelite used to provide texture in a ceiling coating.
Perlite in Construction
Perlite is a versatile and sustainable mineral that is mined and processed with a negligible impact on the environment. And the green community recognizes perlite-enhanced products—like lightweight insulating concrete roof decks—as a high-performance solutions drawn from a natural material of nearly unlimited supply throughout the world.
Big Users of Perlite
Research suggests that more than 50 percent of expanded perlite worldwide is used by the construction industry. Perlite plays an important role in a wide variety of construction-related uses including: as an aggregate in lightweight insulating concrete and plaster; as a loose fill insulation material for concrete masonry blocks, cavity walls, in residential homes; and in a variety of specialty applications including fireproofing sprays, chimney fills, interstitial floors, acoustical sprays, etc. See our Perlite House PDF to see some of the ways perlite is used in construction.
Lightweight Insulating Concrete
Lightweight Perlite Insulating Concrete offers architects, engineers, and building owners several important benefits:
• Superior thermal performance with high insulating values
• Non-combustible with superior fire ratings
• Lightweight and durable
• Smooth monolithic slope-to-drain surface
• Roofing material can be nailed or glued
• Meets UL and FM wind uplift criteria
• An innovative hybrid technology improves cellular concrete
• Realize savings intime, labor, and materials
(linked PDF files from the Perlite Institute Library)
- The Perlite House [NEW]
- Overview of Perlite Concrete [REVISED]
- Perlite Aggregate for Lightweight Tile Mortars
- Transit Mix Perlite Concrete
- Insulating Underground Pipe and Ducting with Perlite Insulating Concrete
- Perlite Insulating Concrete Pool Base for In-Ground Vinyl Pools
(for specifications on Aggregates for Perlite Concrete refer to ASTM C332)
- Perlite Insulating Concrete Roofdeck
- Perlite Insulating Concrete Roofdeck (Specs)
- Nail Holding Power of Perlite Concrete
- Lightweight Aggregate for Portland Cement Plasters and Gypsum Plasters
- Lightweight Fiber Reinforced Perlite Cement Plasters
(for specifications refer to UL C35)